Welcome to “From the Perspective.” A short series of articles that slice through what you need to know about Spec MX-5, with each installment only focused on what you need to know as a NASA racer, or as an SCCA racer, or as an endurance racer, or a racer interested in the spec racing opportunities offered by the Spec MX-5 Challenge Series presented by Toyo Tires.
This installment focuses on what you need to know if you’re only interested in racing your Spec MX-5 in Spec MX-5 Challenge Series races (though, we recommend double dipping when at SCCA or NASA events).
To learn about the paths available to qualify for the Spec MX-5 Challenge Championship at COTA – Eastern Series, Western Series, National Series, or Invitational Races – click here.
To learn about the Championship event at COTA, click here.
The Spec MX-5 Challenge Series offers $6,680 per race / $13,360 per event in contingency awards and the pathway to the Spec MX-5 Challenge Championship at COTA for the awards adding up to $100,000 (expected).
- Mazda offers:
- $1,325 via rewards card spread between the top 5 finishers
- $2,250 Spec MX-5 Challenge Championship subsidies for the admin/registration fees for the top 15 finishers (grew from top 10 previously announced); no paperwork needed from racers
- $805 value in PAGID pads (thanks, PAGID)
- Toyo offers (paid by NASA), per race:
- $1,500 split between the top three finishers
- $500 Toyo bucks between the top three finishers
- $250 in Toyo bucks in one random draw
Mazda is offering a $1K scholarship for 10 Invitational racers.
For complete Mazda contingency awards program and requirements, click here.
Entry Fees for Spec MX-5 Challenge Series Marquee Events (not including COTA Championship): Standard, determined by the NASA or SCCA region as all classes.
Fees for Spec MX-5 Challenge COTA Championship (SVRA event; Nov 5-8):
- $1,450 entry fee to be paid to Spec MX-5 Challenge, LLC (not SVRA), which includes Thursday test day (Nov 5)
- $1,000 admin/registration fee for Spec MX-5 Challenge Series regional racers
- Reminder: $150 subsidies per top 15 finish are provided by Mazda, paid to Spec MX-5 Challenge, LLC; on behalf or racer; no paperwork required by racer. Example: Racer competes in 3 Spec MX-5 Challenge Series events, finishing in top 15 in all six races, he or she earns a $900 subsidy toward the $1,000 admin/registration fee
- Regional racers who compete at the COTA Championship must pay Spec MX-5 Challenge, LLC to register series points for the Championship event. If the racer intends to compete at COTA, it is encouraged to pay Spec MX-5, LLC the $100 fee each event he or she wants to register before competing in the event. (Example: Racer pre-pays the $100 fee for four events, total cost for registering points is $400.) If the racer decides to register points after a given event for COTA, the event fee is $250. If you do not plan to compete at COTA, there is no fee.
- These fees, which the subsidies contribute towards, help pay for COTA track time, contribute to the prize fund (expected $100,000), and more.
Parts Pricing Discounts from Mazda:
- The build or conversion kit (see pages 9-11): 20% off through January 31, 2020. (You may add stock or competition parts as spares in the kit and receive 20% off on them.)
- Parts consumable discounts – if you buy a kit by Jan 31, 2020, racers get:
- 15% off on stock parts for the Spec MX-5 (few exceptions) through Jan 31, 2021 and 5% off on those stock parts from Feb 1, 2021 through Jan 31, 2022
- 5% off competition parts for the Spec MX-5 through Jan 31, 2021
Bonuses for buying one of the first 50 kits (note: Mazda is closing in on 50 kit purchases – as of Jan 23, 2020):
- Toyo Tires has offered one set of Toyo Proxes RR (235/40ZR17 priced at $239.89ea; sold at-track – not by Mazda; price is subject to change)
- Penske Racing Shocks (PRS) has offered $250 service certificates for the first 75 Spec MX-5 shock purchases (exclusively from Mazda Motorsports)
Spec tire for Spec MX-5 Challenge Series Events: Toyo Proxes RR (235/40ZR17) for the 17 x 8” by Rays (exclusively from Mazda Motorsports).
Sporting regulations for Spec MX-5 Challenge Series can be found here.
If a you are a prep shop desiring to support Spec MX-5 race cars, we recommend registering with Spec MX-5 Challenge, LLC to gain additional support.
Spec MX-5 prep shops may be eligible to join Mazda’s Prep Shop Rewards Program and receive many additional benefits.
Spec MX-5 racers are eligible to join the Mazda Team Support Program and receive many additional benefits.
Spec MX-5: From the Endurance Racer Perspective – to be updated later in January.