In 2019, GT-3 was up more than 30% in SCCA U.S. Majors participation. Results not yet tabulated in 2020 with COVID-19 the largest factor, but all signs pointing to more growth in 2021.
With the 2020 GT-3 season culminating in October, racers from four car brands came together with Mazda to share insight into ways to keep the momentum of the series going.
- Mazda racers represented various regions of the country: Michael Lewis (Calif.), Rob Warkocki (WI), Adam Janosek (NY) and Jeff Dernehl (GA)
- Honda racer Joe Kristensen (Canada)
- Ford racer Paul Young (MI)
- Nissan racer Tony Ave (NC)
The key takeaways:
- We are all hearing that more cars are being built and already rented for next season. There are still opportunities to get involved, but we are ahead of schedule. Tony Ave already has a taker on a rental for next season, and is likely to have only one more.
- Work to keep the current partners, who have been fantastic sticking with the growth efforts: AiM Sports, Penske Racing Shocks, Goodyear Tires, Hoosier Tires, MPI, and Mazda.
- Gain additional partner support.
- Increase the PR and marketing support.
- Focus the resources on specific, targeted events to encourage the GT-3 racers to show up in significant numbers (double digit car count).
- Choose great tracks and regions that desire our participation, work great with us, and, ideally, host events the first half of the race season, when no GT-3 racer has yet qualified for the Runoffs.
- Keep the conversation going.
- And based on the feedback, the tentative schedule created (with dates still TBD)…
2021 GT-3 Challenge presented by MPI Race Schedule (SCCA U.S. Majors or Hoosier Super Tour Events):
Event 1: Feb 19-21, Buttonwillow Raceway Park
Event 2: March 19-21, Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta
Event 3: April 30-May 2, Pittsburgh International Race Complex
Event 4: May 1-2, Buttonwillow Raceway Park (Change of course layout)
Event 5: July 11-12, Road America (CAT Nationals)
Event 6: Sept 25-Oct 3, Indianapolis Motor Speedway (SCCA National Championship Runoffs)
Note: Due to the high GT-3 engagement on the West Coast, additional events may be added.
Stay tuned for more updates to the 2021 season on MazdaMotorsports.com and via the SCCA GT3 Facebook page