Drivers from numerous grassroots disciplines invited to compete for chance at a Mazda MX-5 Cup season.
October 14, 2020 – Mazda Motorsports has unveiled the list of drivers nominated for the 2020 MX-5 Cup Shootout.
The Shootout, targeted for November 16-17 at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta in Braselton, Georgia, will award the winner a $110,000 scholarship to compete in the 2021 Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires. The winner’s car will carry the Mazda’s Soul Red Crystal on his or her MX-5 Cup car throughout the season.
Winning a club racing championship while driving a Mazda or Mazda-powered car is the primary way to be nominated for the Shootout, while at-large nominees are also considered. Nominated drivers will submit a written and video proposal from which the finalists will be selected for the two-day Shootout.
The 2019 MX-5 Cup Shootout winner, Jared Thomas, captured his first win of the season this past weekend at New Jersey Motorsports Park; Jared now homes in on earning the Rookie of the Year $75K award. The 2018 Shootout winner, Michael Carter, is leading the series and the bid for the $200K championship scholarship with one event to go.
- Michael Borden – SCCA T4 National Champion
- Michael Lewis – SCCA GT-3 National Champion
- Spencer Brockman – SCCA FA National Champion
- Jacob Loomis – SCCA FX National Champion
- Broch Evans – Formula Mazda Southern Majors Champion
- Brad Yake – Formula Mazda Southeast Majors Champion
- Ryan McLaughlin – Formula Mazda Mid-States Majors Champion
- Steve Martin – Formula Mazda Western Majors Champion
- Jason Vinkemulder – Formula Mazda Northern Majors Champion
- Wyatt Couch – Spec Miata Teen Mazda Challenge NorCal Region
- Hannah Grisham – Spec Miata, Teen Mazda Challenge, SoCal Region
- Harry Voigt – Spec Miata, Teen Mazda Challenge, Rocky Mountain Region
- Sean Ludlow – Spec Miata, Teen Mazda Challenge, Great Lakes
- Roy Fulmer IV – Spec Miata, Teen Mazda Challenge
- Clayton Ketcher – Spec Miata, Teen Mazda Challenge
- Chris Nunes – Spec Miata, Teen Mazda Challenge
- Aiden Baker Crouse – Spec Miata
- Brandon Collins – Spec Miata
- Tyler Brown – Spec Miata
- Kyle Greenhill – Spec Miata
- Justin Casey – Spec Miata
- Konrad Czaczyk – Spec Miata
- Grant West – Spec Miata/ Spec MX-5
- Charles MacTutus – Spec Miata/Spec MX-5
- Savanna Little – Spec MX-5
- Aidan Fassnacht – Spec MX-5
- Aaron Jeansonne – Spec MX-5
- Bryce Cornet – Spec MX-5
- Tyler Quance – Spec MX-5
- Joey Atanasio – Spec MX-5
- Loni Unser – Endurance Racing
Due to significant professional experience, Preston Pardus (SCCA Spec Miata National Champion) and Liam Snyder (SCCA Formula Enterprises 2 National Champion) are not eligible for the Shootout
Due to Zach Rubin’s director position for NASA’s Teen Mazda Challenge, he has withdrawn his automatic nomination he earned.
Criteria to become a finalist can be found here.