The Partners and The Why: “MPI, Hoosier Racing Tire, AiM Sports, Penske Racing Shocks, and Mazda have come together to provide some special prizes to help maximize participation and the value at these events,” says David Cook, business development manager for Mazda Motorsports. “The participation is what excites us. It’s all about the competition of many high horsepower GT3 machines tackling these prolific tracks. The bonus for the competitors and those involved is all the partners that are coming together to raise the stakes and showcase this special group of drivers.” (To learn more, see the SportsCar article by clicking here.)
The Race Tour Structure:
- The inaugural GT3 Challenge presented by MPI kicked off its four region tour at Road Atlanta during the SCCA’s American Road Race of Champions (ARRC) November 1-4 2018; Jeff Dernehl claimed the weekend, and the Southeast GT3 Challenge title along with it.
- Dernehl will compete against three other GT3 Challenge region champions at the SCCA Runoffs (October 2019) for additional prizes, awards, and recognition.
- The GT3 Challenge continued its five-event tour at VIRginia International Raceway during the SCCA Super Tour event in April. Stacy Wilson took the weekend title, earning the right to represent the Mid-Atlantic region at the Runoffs.
- Next, the tour made its way to the Midwest region of the country when it competed at Road America during the SCCA June Sprints, where Rob Warkocki did everything right, earning the Midwest GT3 Challenge crown.
- To complete the four region competitions, GT3 Challenge heads to WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca for the SCCA Super Tour event in July.
- GT3 Challenge presenting partner MPI (Max Papis Innovations Inc.) will award custom stitched steering wheels (special for these GT3 Challenge events) to each of the podium finishers.
- During the Saturday Mazda BBQs:
- Hoosier Racing Tire will raffle one set of Hoosier racing tires for GT3 competition to one GT3 Challenge competitor. All GT3 manufacturer drivers are eligible for the raffle, and invited to the lunch
- AiM Sports provides a SmartyCam and AiM Solo DL
- Penske Racing Shocks provides a $500 parts service certificate
- Mazda Motorsports offered subsidies of $175 per competitor, regardless of manufacturer (includes non-Mazda’s), for those who register and pay for entry into both GT3 races at the SCCA ARRC. Mazda will also provide other giveaways and awards, including enhanced Mazda contingency.
- Mazda Motorsports offers contingency awards for the top three finishers in the SCCA ARRC race. For both GT3 Challenge races, however, Mazda is sweetening the pot. For each of these two races, Mazda drivers who place in the top 20 are eligible for the following contingency awards:
- 1st place overall: $400
- 2nd place overall: $300
- 3rd place overall: $250
- 4th place overall: $225
- 5th place overall: $200
- 6th -15th place overall: $175 each
- 16th – 20th place overall: $150 each
- For the three 2019 Super Tour events, Mazda created a new, enhanced contingency payout structure (click here to access the comprehensive program. See pages 9 and 20 for payouts).
- Once the four tour events are concluded in July, additional prizing will be announced to aid the four region champions to compete at the SCCA Runoffs in October.
“Mazda is known for going above and beyond for our racers,” continued Cook. “I’m not sure many manufacturers have ever subsidized entries for their competition, but that’s one part of this strategy to support our racers and kick off these Challenge events. It’s all about ensuring our racers get to compete in full fields; if we need to help other brands cars, we will. Hoosier, AiM Sports, Penske Racing Shocks, and MPI get this, and that’s why we are working so well together to make this happen.”
The SCCA ARRC
As the 2018 racing season draws to an end, the 25th running of the ARRC, November 1 – 4, is positioning itself to provide championship caliber competition with the fun that Club Racing is all about.
The weekend events will start with a Road Atlanta Test Day on Thursday. On Friday there will be two qualifying sessions for the ARRC Championship Race Groups and one qualifying session for the Atlantic Pro Cup Series. Friday’s action will conclude with the first of two Atlantic Pro Cup Series races. On Saturday, ARRC Championship racing will combine both National and Club classes and will race for the ARRC medals. Sunday will be packed full of Feature Races for classes including FF, Formula FST, GP4, Spec MX-5, and GT3. And the weekend will end with a combined Endurance Championship Racing Series and Atlantic Pro Cup Series race. For more information go to www.atlantascca.org
Mazda Motorsports boasts the most comprehensive auto racing development ladder system of any auto manufacturer in the world. The Mazda Road to 24 (#MRT24) program offers a number of scholarships to advance drivers up the sports car racing ladder, beginning with the MX-5 Cup series and culminating with the Mazda Prototype team. In grassroots road racing, more Mazdas race on any given weekend in North America than any other manufacturer. Follow all of the latest news at MazdaMotorsports.com, @MazdaRacing on Twitter, and Mazda Motorsports on Instagram and Facebook.
Mazda North American Operations
Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, California, and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through nearly 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at InsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com/Newsroom.
# # #