– Mazda Racers Score 10 Wins at SCCA and NASA Championships –
IRVINE, Calif. (September 25, 2016) – With two of the biggest club racing events in the country taking place simultaneously, it was a divide and conquer effort for the Mazda Motorsports team. Success was earned at both the 2016 SCCA National Championships Presented by Garmin VIRB and the NASA Eastern States Championships presented by Toyo Tires with a total of 10 championships earned by Mazda racers.
The 2016 Mazda-powered SCCA National Runoffs Champions are as follows:
• Matt Reynolds, Boerne, Texas – E Production Mazda MX-5 Miata
• Justin Hille, Ypsilanti, Michigan – Spec Miata
• Matthew Machiko, Wexford, Pennsylvania – Formula Mazda
• Ryan Norman, Aurora, Ohio, Formula Atlantic Swift 016a Mazda
• Stacy Wilson, Englewood, Tennessee – GT3 Mazda RX-7
The Mazda-powered NASA Eastern States Champions are as follows:
• Tyler Kicera, Mount Gretna, Pennsylvania – Spec Miata
• Matt Rivard, Kansas City, Missouri – NP01 Mazda MZR
• Dillon Dexter, Central City, Nebraska – PTD Mazda MX-5 Miata
• Warren Dexter, Central City, Nebraska – PTE Mazda MX-5 Miata
• Mark Burt, Deland, Florida – ST3 Mazda RX-7
John Doonan, director of motorsports, Mazda North American Operations, said, “Thanks to all of our Mazda Motorsports family members who competed at Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen and congratulations to our latest class of Mazda-powered club racing champions. I can’t wait to see if one of these champions moves on in winning the Mazda Road to 24 or Mazda Road to Indy Shootout.”
Winning a club racing championship with Mazda-power is the primary entry channel into the Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. This post-race shootout will award a $100,000 Mazda scholarship to compete in the 2017 Battery Tender® Mazda Global MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich Tires.
• The combined starting field for Spec Miata at both events was 85 cars, 44 at Mid-Ohio, and 41 at Watkins Glen.
• This was the first ever championship race for the Mazda MZR-powered Elan Technologies produced NP01 prototype.
About Mazda Motorsports
Mazda Motorsports boasts the most comprehensive auto racing development ladder system of any auto manufacturer in the world. The Mazda Road to 24 program offers a number of scholarships to advance drivers up the sports car racing ladder, beginning with the Global MX-5 Cup series and culminating with the Mazda Prototype team. The Mazda Road to Indy is a similar program that includes Mazda-powered categories of USF2000, Pro Mazda and Indy Lights. In grassroots road racing, more Mazdas race on any given weekend in North America than any other manufacturer. Mazda is also the title sponsor of the renowned Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, Calif. Follow all of the latest news at MazdaMotorsports.com, @MazdaRacing on Twitter, and MazdaMotorsports on Instagram and Facebook.
# # #