Recognizing the value of the Spec Miata class as a destination for young drivers in the Summit Racing Equipment SCCA Road Racing program, Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and Mazda Motorsports have announced the SCCA First Gear Mazda Challenge.
The SCCA First Gear membership is a long-established, discounted program for SCCA members under the age of 25. In 2021, additional SCCA U.S. Majors Tour Conference and Hoosier Super Tour point standings will be kept on First Gear-aged Spec Miata drivers, who will be eligible for additional recognition, contingencies and a direct path to the Mazda MX-5 Cup Shootout.
“SCCA remains committed to developing the next generation of drivers, enthusiasts, volunteers and members,” Eric Prill, SCCA Vice President said. “These align with Mazda’s goals as well, and we are excited to work directly with them to establish this program for 2021.”
The First Gear Mazda Challenge began with the first Conference event in 2021 at Homestead last weekend, and the season-opening Hoosier Super Tour at Sebring, January 15-17. The First Gear Mazda Challenge Super Tour season-long point champion—at the conclusion of the regular season—will earn a free entry to the 2021 Runoffs at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
“We are excited to partner with the SCCA and Hoosier to offer additional rewards and recognition to more than 50 current racers in SCCA’s largest national class [Spec Miata] under 25, as well as future racers,” David Cook, Mazda Motorsports Business Development Manager said. “As always, Hoosier has stepped up. And we are proud to do our part.”
SCCA First Gear Mazda Challenge (FGMC) details:
- All drivers under the age of 25 on January 31, 2021 or later are eligible for 2021. Drivers need not sign up for the program, they will be included automatically
- Drivers will receive FGMC decals at Majors Conference and Hoosier Super Tour events
- Eligible drivers participating in Spec Miata in Majors Conference and Super Tour events will score points at events in both the Spec Miata class and the “First Gear Mazda Challenge Spec Miata” class
- SCCA will maintain a separate point standings page for FGMC drivers that includes the Hoosier Super Tour and all six U.S. Majors Tour Conferences on SCCA.com
- All points will be scored on the same schedule as the open class, but will be displayed without drivers outside of the qualifying age range. For example, a fifth-place overall finish in a Super Tour race will earn 16 points in both the Hoosier Super Tour point standings and the FGMC standings
- SCCA will extend a free Runoffs entry to the driver leading the FGMC-specific Hoosier Super Tour Point standings entering the Runoffs
- FGMC Hoosier Super Tour and U.S. Majors Tour Conference (with at least five participating drivers) champions receive a nomination to the MX-5 Cup Shootout
- FGMC Hoosier Super Tour and U.S. Majors Tour Conference champions will receive a set of Hoosier contingency tires