One Talented Racer Will Earn a $100,000 Scholarship for the 2017 Idemitsu Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich® Tires.
IRVINE, Calif. (November 2, 2016) – Mazda has confirmed the eight finalists for the 11th annual Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. This post-season shootout will award a $100,000 Mazda Motorsports scholarship to compete in the 2017 Idemitsu Mazda MX-5 Cup presented by BFGoodrich® Tires. The 2016 Shootout will take place November 15-16, 2016 at the NOLA Motorsports Park, in Avondale, Louisiana.
Winning a club racing championship with Mazda power is the primary entry channel into the Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. Two dozen racers were eligible for the shootout based upon success with the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA), the National Auto Sport Association (NASA), Teen Mazda Challenge, Formula Car Challenge or iRacing. These racers were then invited to submit a written and video proposal from which the finalists were selected.
The 2016 finalists are:
1) Michael Carter, Savannah, Georgia – At-Large Nominee – SCCA Spec Miata
2) Matt Cresci, Los Gatos, California – At-Large Nominee – NASA Spec Miata
3) Julian Garfield, Mount Airy, Maryland – At-Large Nominee – SCCA SOLO
4) Justin Hille, Ypsilanti, Michigan – SCCA Runoffs Spec Miata Champion
5) Tyler Kicera, Mount Gretna, Pennsylvania – NASA East Spec Miata Champion
6) Daniel Langon, Alamo, California – Teen Mazda Challenge Western Region Champion
7) Matthew Machiko, Wexford, Pennsylvania – SCCA Runoffs Formula Mazda Champion
8) TBD – iRacing Mazda MX-5 Combine Cup Champion (to be confirmed Nov. 8)
John Doonan, director of motorsports, Mazda North American Operations, said, “Mazda continues to be proud to be able to offer this un-matched Mazda Road to 24 opportunity to drivers all across North America. Each year we say that this is our strongest class ever, and 2016 is no exception. It’s amazing how tough the competition is and that it gets more competitive every year. Taking the shootout to a new venue will add to the challenge. May the best racer win.”
About Mazda Motorsports
Mazda Motorsports boasts the most comprehensive auto racing development ladder system of any auto manufacturer in the world. The Mazda Road to 24 program offers a number of scholarships to advance drivers up the sports car racing ladder, beginning with the MX-5 Cup series and culminating with the Mazda Prototype team. The Mazda Road to Indy is a similar program that includes Mazda-powered categories of USF2000, Pro Mazda and Indy Lights. In grassroots road racing, more Mazdas race on any given weekend in North America than any other manufacturer. Mazda is also the title sponsor of the renowned Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, Calif. Follow all of the latest news at MazdaMotorsports.com, @MazdaRacing on Twitter, and MazdaMotorsports on Instagram and Facebook.
# # #